Welcome to the Illinois AER Website
2016 IAER Vision Conference
February 18-19, 2016
Hyatt Regency Schaumburg Chicago
1800 East Golf Rd.
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Go here for more information!
Illinois AER Pre-Conference Seminar
Wednesday, February 17th, 2016
9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Lunch on Your Own 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
Northern Illinois University
- Sign-Up on the IAER Conference Registration Form. Pre-Conference fee is $25 for IAER members and $40 for non-IAER members. Space is limited to the first 40 participants to register.
Once registered, it is as easy a 1-2-3!
- (1) Complete the UEBOT course orientation online in advance of the IAER Pre-Conference.
- (2) Attend the IAER UEBOT Pre-Conference Seminar and learn UEB alongside colleagues. Bring your laptop with Perky Duck installed and ready to go.
- (3) Finish the UEBOT Training online after the pre-conference to earn 10 ACVREP CEUs! The CEUs for this pre-conference are available to all course completers through UEBOT project upon completion of the UEBOT course after the pre-conference. IAER is not providing the CEUs.
Like us on Facebook
U.S. Department of Education
Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 3rd, 2015
Athletics and Safety for the Blind and Visually Impaired
With Guest Speaker Robert Kim
To view the flyer click here
Opportunity of Lifetime
Applications for the first of two cohorts of the National Leaders Consortium in Sensory Disabilities (NLCSD) will be available starting mid-February 2015 for this first cohort. the consortium consists of multiple universities with doctoral programs that have an emphasis in one or more sensory impairment areas: blind/visually impaired, deaf/hard of hearing, and deafblindness.
- Northern Illinois University is currently accepting applications for the doctoral program with a specialization in visual impairments. For more information, contact Stacy Kelly at email@example.com.
- Illinois State University is currently accepting applications for the doctoral program in special education. For more information contact Olaya Landa-Vialard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of being an NCLSD scholar:
- Full support (tuition and fees) at Consortium universities, for up to 4 years
- Annual stipend award $24,000 while matriculated
- Participation in an Enrichment Program that includes a course that runs through the academic year and is delivered via distance technology and face-to-face meetings
- Mentorship by Consortium faculty from universities across the country and across the disability areas
- Travel to and attendance at 1-2 required NLCSD meetings per year.
For more information about the fellowship opportunity go to www.nlcsdproject.org.
Those interested in this first cohort are encouraged to act quickly as the NLCSD application deadline for the first cohort is approaching.
Get ready for Space Camp 2015!
Yes, rocket science can be a lot of fun! Space Camp 2015 will be from Sept. 19 to Sept. 24, 2015 (travel home 9/25/2015.) It will again be a week full of fun, action and exciting activities. AER IL will sponsor the camp fee for one student and assist with travel expenses for a chaperone. Please view the Space Camp flier and the Scholarship application or call Andy Heim at 309-264-8895 for more details.
Space Camp 2015 Info - Word
Space Camp 2015 Info - PDF
Space Camp 2015 Application - Word
Space Camp 2015 Application - PDF
2014 IAER Award Winners
Distinguished Service - Patricia Langdon
Excellence in Education - Donna Hernandez
As the outgoing President of IAER, I want to thank all of you for your support over the past few years. As members of IAER I hope you have truly benefitted from your membership. Please encourage all of your co-workers to join us. Remind them of the benefits of membership.
It is with a great deal of pleasure that I announce the results of our election process. All of the candidates standing for election have been elected with a 100% affirmative vote. Please click here to see who your new officers are!
I hope that you will support your leadership and find that being involved with such a dynamic chapter of AER is truly inspiring you to be your best.
Finally, as the incoming 2015 and 2016 IAER Conference Chair, I want you to save the date for our 2015 conference, February 18-20, 2015. Our program will in part depend on each of you. Start thinking now of something you would like to share with the membership and other professionals in our field. We need everyone to be considering the possibility of leading or co-leading a 60 minute session for the conference. Later in the Summer/early Autumn, you will have the opportunity to submit a proposal to present. This is a great opportunity to share your special knowledge and skills. Watch for the Call for Presenters and be ready to send one or more in for the program. Presenting is not as hard as it seems.
Have a great summer! Thank you again for allowing me to serve as your 2012-2014 IAER Chapter President.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY!
Welcome to the Illinois AER (IAER) website! As a state chapter of the Association of Education and Rehabilitation for people who are blind or Visually Impaired (AER), IAER is committed to supporting professionals who serve persons with visual impairments.
As you explore our website you will learn that we are an exciting chapter, providing many services to professionals serving those who are blind and visually impaired. We are pleased to be able to provide support to our members in the following areas:
Funding for special projects that benefit persons with visual impairments,
Legislative advocacy that benefits our profession (and therefore the people we serve).
As the new incoming chapter president, I am excited at the possibilities for our Chapter and the professionals who serve people with vision impairments. I invite you to check out our many programs described in this website, explore the benefits of AER membership, and encourage you to consider joining us. If you have a comment, suggestion, or question regarding our chapter, its activities, or membership, please feel free to contact me at any time.
Leah Gerlach, M.S.